Volunteer Opportunities at The Washington Home
Volunteers play a major role in activities at The Washington Home. Many of the opportunities do not require training. If required, training is provided where noted.
If you would like more information or wish to volunteer your services, please contact Charles Bond at 202 895.0104 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I. Work with Residents
- Adopt a resident
- Friendly visitor - Visit an assigned resident weekly to help with letter writing and reading.
- Mealtime assistant - Help residents with special needs at mealtimes. Additional training provided
- Listen to their life stories
- Read aloud
- Play games
- Work on crafts
- Play music
- Assist residents with tasks (e.g. rearrange their room, write letters)
- Take on a stroll outside
II. Work on Building and Grounds
- Clean-up grounds
- Landscape gardens
Barbara Bush Garden
First Floor – Healing Garden
Second Floor garden – Alzheimer’s
Third Floor back garden
- Polish railings, brass
- Wash Windows
III. Work with Events or DemonstrationsEducational – lectures, travel logs, demonstrations, exhibits
- Music programs
- Live theater
- Holiday observances
- Event to showcase company’s mission
IV. Administrative Support
- Clerical support - Provide clerical assistance to include; answering the phone, filing, assisting with mailings, organizing medical supplies and assembling admission packets. An additional three-hour training session is required.
- Grant Writer/Researcher Research and identify single and multi-year grant sources, help maintain proposal timelines and prepare reports to foundations.
- General Clerical Support Answer phones, assist with typing and filing and other assignments
- Nursing Unit Support Assist unit clerks with phones and clerical duties.
Click here to Download a volunteer application.